Tuesday, August 16, 2011

It's my last full day in Maine and I only just finished packing my suitcase.  Deciding what to pack was a lot harder than anticipated;  I had no idea how many clothes were needed for a whole year abroad.  A couple friends were having a similar issue in packing for college (although they can always bring back more things when they come home to visit), and I eventually came up with this list.  It was the weirdest feeling when I closed my suitcase (without even having to sit on it... YES!)-- the (almost) year of preparations for my trip were finally over and all that was left was waiting and saying goodbyes.  Woah. (Plus I looked around and my room was cleaner than it has been in a looong time.  Talk about closure.)

I got my visa in the mail at the end of last week so I could stop worrying about it.  It's super pretty and makes me laugh at the fact that I had tried so hard to get a picture where I looked good:  the picture on the visa is so blurry that you can only just tell it's of me.  I'll still have to go to the "municipal authorities" (which they kindly clarified as city hall in an attached note) when I arrive to get an ID card and such, because the visa is only good for 90 days.

I had meant to brush up on current events and on my French, of which I have done neither, so I guess I'll have to carry on the stereotype of Americans being ignorant when they travel.  I'm thinking if I compose a short list of essential things (on both subjects), I can study up on the plane and come out somewhat OK.  I guess we'll see.

Well, that's about all I have to report.  Just one more day of goodbyes (and au revoirs, of course) and waiting before I FINALLY LEAVE FOR BELGIUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment