Monday, May 7, 2012


Oh the rain rain rain came down down down, in rushing, rising rivlets
the river crept out of its bed, and crept right into Piglet's.
Poor Piglet he was frightened, with quite a rightful fright.
Despite his desperation, a message he did write.

Keep in mind that when I say 'Piglet' I mean me.  The Meuse hasn't quite crept all the way up to my window yet, but if the weather keeps up it just might.  I had been hoping to get out and do a little sightseeing this past weekend, but all I saw was the inside of the mall in Liège.  It was still a nice time, though, especially since the two other exchange student girls I was with live in small Belgian towns and got really excited to come to the "big city."

While I may have an excuse to remember this song, I have also had quite a few of the things I used to sing in elementary school music class stuck in my head this week, and I can't think of any reason for them to be there.  I don't know if it is some bizarre form of homesickness or if my English is receding back to what is most deeply rooted in my brain.  Maybe there is no reason.  Although if any other exchange students are having a similar experience it would reassure me to know about it.

Until then, I'll be trying to avoid singing American children's songs in conspicuous places like the bus or the bathroom at school.  I've been getting more than the usual number or strange looks.

À tantôt!

1 comment:

  1. About the children's songs, that has definitely been happening to me too.. I taught a few girls at my school to sing "The Itsy Bitsy Spider" and I'm pretty sure it all started because I was singing it randomly in class. Sadly I don't have any more idea why it happens than you, but I understand!

    ReplyDelete